So, you are facing a difficult tax problem and need some help. The good news is that there are plenty of people out there that are able to negotiate on your behalf and get you a settlement with the government that you can afford. All you have to do is find the right one and get them started working on your case today.

The first place to look is for an Enrolled Agent or CPA that will work with you to negotiate a deal with the government. These representatives are not lawyers but are experts in the administrative workings of the Internal Revenue Service. Just as you would check out the lawyer that you would hire, you should conduct the same kind of research on the representative that you are considering. You can often find an Enrolled Agent or CPA who is very experienced who will charge you less than you would pay an attorney. Even though you want the best tax help available, you should consider cost as well. This is especially true if you are dealing with a very large tax debt that is owed to the government.

The next place that you could look for tax help is with a local attorney. You should make sure that the lawyer you hire is an expert in handling administrative tax cases. Do some research on their business and the number of favorable results they have received for their clients. It is in your best interest to work with a lawyer that has experience in administrative tax cases. Few attorneys practice in this area,

Many people decide not to look for tax help and try to negotiate with the government on their own. While it is possible to work on your own behalf, it is not recommended, especially if your tax debt is over $25,000 (a magic limit for the IRS). You can find a great deal of information about taxes and the options that you have available to you, but the time expenditure can be huge. Not only will you end up spending a great deal of time, you have no way of knowing if you are using the right approach to solve your tax problems. Experience is the key to getting the kind of results that you need.

The representative that you find for your tax help will negotiate for you and eliminate the need for you to ever communicate with the government. All you will do when you use a representative is sign a limited power of attorney to allow them to conduct the negotiations for you. Of course, you should make sure that you are still seeing all of the correspondence with the government.

The bottom line is that there is plenty of tax help available for you when you find yourself in hot water with the government with a tax debt you can’ pay. Even if you use an Enrolled Agent, CPA or attorney to handle your situation, you should still find out as much as you can about the tax laws to ensure that you understand what is happening. Educate yourself about your case and follow the advice of your representative.